Taxi drivers from Elche who operate from Alicante-Elche airport have called off their strike on Thursday, which they had planned to run until Monday, after meetings held on Thursday morning.
A number of initiatives were agreed, including restricting taxi drivers not based in Elche to the number of journeys they can make in a month, and plans for a barrier system to be implemented to crack down on unlicensed pirate taxis.
A follow up meeting has been arranged for the 24th of March, in which the plans will seek final approval, with the municipal council affirming their support to do everything possible to show their support for the drivers.
As reported by Kevin Reardon on Wednesday, the strike had been called after 14 months of talks regarding pirate taxi’s operating from Alicante-Elche Airport still not having been resolved and in the light of a lack of progress in discussions with the Department of Transportation and Elche City Council the Association of Auto-Taxi’s Elche announced a strike to begin on Thursday.
A spokesman for the Association said there have been 10 meetings between his union and representatives from the Department of Transportation, the City of Elche and airport management and as yet no decisions have been reached despite promises from the authorities that the matter was being treated seriously.
There is still not a regular police presence checking the taxi’s at the airport, and neither are there are control measures being applied through the car park barriers. Implementation of both of these measures was promised over a year ago.
"We feel cheated, the City does not support us despite being professionals who have always been willing to work with them, we have been waiting a long time. We are deeply sorry for the inconvenience that our action will cause to users but the authorities leave us with no way out," they said in a statement released on Wednesday.
Filed under: http://www.theleader.info/article/42946/