A Spanish consumer association has joined echoed calls by furniture giant Ikea, who have urged parents of small children to ensure that electric cables from lamps are out of their reach.
The move has come about after Ikea issued a recall notice for their Smilla range of lamps, after a 16 month old baby died having been strangled by the cord. Other incidents have also been reported, but only one resulted in the tragic death.
In a statement, the company has asked that customers who have bought the Ikea Smilla lamps should check that the cables are “out of reach of children, when located in a crib or playpen and the cable is attached to the wall safely”.
The lamps come in a variety of designs from stars to seahorses, all with a 2 metre long cable. Ikea has said that affected customers can either return or receive “a free safety kit that includes a warning label, safety instructions and adhesive fasteners to secure the cable to the wall”.
The company also apologised to their customers.
Filed under: http://www.theleader.info/article/41947/